Travel Makeup Bag: What I Actually Used!
I am someone who is always, without fail, guilty of overpacking when I travel. Even when I make an effort to not take too much, a few extra shirts always get thrown in! Then, like every other time, half my clothes go unworn. Oops.
A little over a week ago John and I went on a trip to the West Coast and spent some time in Los Angeles, San Fransico, and Napa Valley. We had a great trip!
When I was packing my travel makeup bag I set out to keep it basic, not bring too much, only take what I would use, etc. Long story short my makeup bag ended up packed full. I was debating doing a video about what I was taking with me, but I ran out of time and looking back, it would have been quite a long video!
When our trip was over and I was back home unpacking, I thought it would be fun to show you all the makeup items that actually got used. The real essential items, which no surprise, filled about an 1/8th of my bag.
I wanted to take the time to highlight the items that got the most use during my 8 days away and hopefully this will help me pack smarter for my next trip and give you some ideas for what you really need to bring if you have an upcoming trip!
- Urban Decay Naked Basics palette: By now you all know I love this palette and I think it’s a must have for anyone! Urban Decay recently came out with a second version of this palette so you can choose the one that best suits your skin tone!
- Laura Mercier Radiance Foundation Primer mini: I got this mini from a Sephora VIB gift and it comes in handy for travel! I like to keep a box of my minis that I can pick from when I’m traveling to save space!
- Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream mini: This was another sample I got from Ipsy this year. Ipsy is great because they give you generous sized samples which are perfect for travel! I am in love with this BB cream and am about to order a full size. More to come on this!
- Maybelline Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser: This product makes it so easy to cover and brighten any darkness you have under your tired eyes. The applicator makes it super simple to apply and it blends out nicely with your finger.
- Perricone MD No Bronzer Bronzer: This is one of my more recent purchases, but I’m in love with it. It gives you such a natural glow and as an added bonus, contains an SPF of 30.
- Hourglass Arch Brow Pencil in Dark Brunette: I’ve mentioned this pencil as a favorite before and I am still using it a lot. It’s great for a natural looking brow and is easy to apply so you can get our the door quick!
- Milani Blush in Luminoso: By now most of us have heard that Milani makes a great blush and I don’t disagree. Luminoso is a beautiful, natural color that doubles as a blush and highlighter without looking too shimmery or intense! I find this blush goes with almost every look!
- NARS Larger in Life liner in Via Veneto: These pencils are no joke. If you’re looking for a good eyeliner that will not smudge or budge, these are worth the splurge.
- Physicians Formula Eye Booster liner: This is my current go-to liner for creating a wing or cat-eye. The tip/brush is very easy to use and makes it easy to be precise. It’s great for a trip when you want to take that extra step, but don’t want to add a ton of extra time.
- L’Oreal Lash Out Butterfly mascara: I love this mascara. It’s the perfect mascara for an every day look. It lifts and separates without getting clumpy.
- Sonia Kashuk lash curler: I use a lash curler most days as it really helps to lift and open up your eyes. I am not one for dramatic lashes and rarely wear falsies, but a good curl makes a huge difference!
I didn’t photograph a lip product because most days I wore a balm or chapstick. On the occasions I did want some color, I used my NARS lip pencil in Descanso which unfortunately, was LE, but is a nice natural peachy nude color.
I wish I had taken a photo of when my bag was crammed full of other things. I think it’s fun/funny to look back and actually take a look at what got the most use! It’s eye-opening! I am traveling again in October and I am going to remember this when I go to my makeup drawer to decide that to bring.
Have you traveled recently? What makeup items that you took with you proved to be the most useful?